In Sierra Leone, 12 year-old Sorie was sent out to buy kerosene for his family’s oil lamp and inadvertently spilled it on his shirt. That evening, as he went to use the toilet, he held the lamp under his shirt so it would not go out and the flames immediately consumed and horribly burned him.
Fortunately, doctors in Ghana agreed to perform Sorie’s reconstructive surgery for free. As of June 2010, Sorie has undergone three surgeries, with more to follow. Sorie has settled back in to his life in Sierra Leone and is doing well and going to school.
He is happy that he is able to close his mouth and eyes and turn his head again. The Grossman Burn Foundation has aided Sorie by providing much needed funding for his travel expenses to visit his physician in Ghana for his six month follow up care.